What are the pancreatic markers

measqu

I'm new to learning about the pancreas and was wondering if anyone could help me out with understanding pancreatic markers. I've heard they can give a lot of insight into the health of the pancreas, but I'm not sure what exactly they are or how they're measured.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Pancreatic markers are substances released into the bloodstream when certain types of cancer or other diseases affect the pancreas. These markers can be used to detect and diagnose pancreatic diseases and cancers.

Types of Pancreatic Markers

There are several types of pancreatic markers that can be used to screen for various diseases. The most commonly used markers are the CA 19-9 and the CEA.

CA 19-9 stands for Carbohydrate Antigen 19-9 and is a tumor marker that is released by pancreatic cancer cells. It is used to detect the presence of pancreatic cancer.

CEA stands for Carcinoembryonic Antigen and is a protein produced by some types of cancer cells. It is used to detect the presence of pancreatic cancer, as well as other types of cancer.

Uses of Pancreatic Markers

Pancreatic markers are used to detect the presence of pancreatic cancer and other diseases. They can also be used to monitor the progression of the disease and to track the effectiveness of treatment. Pancreatic markers can also be used to diagnose other conditions, such as pancreatitis and chronic pancreatitis.