What are the main sources of AST

measqu

I'm trying to learn more about Abstract Syntax Trees (ASTs) and what the main sources of them are. Does anyone have any experience with ASTs they can share? I'm interested to know what resources people have used to learn about them, as well as any tips or tricks that could help me understand them better.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
AST, or Abstract Syntax Trees, are an essential part of programming languages. They provide structure to a program, allowing it to be easily understood and interpreted by a computer. ASTs are used in many different programming languages, such as Java, Python, and C++.

AST Source Code

The most common source of ASTs is the source code itself. When a programmer writes a program, the source code is parsed and analyzed by the compiler. The compiler then creates an AST, which is a data structure that represents the code in a structured form. This AST can then be used by the interpreter to execute the code.

AST Parser Libraries

Another way to generate ASTs is to use an AST parser library. These libraries provide tools for parsing source code and generating ASTs. These libraries often come with a set of APIs that make it easy to create and manipulate ASTs.

AST Visualization Tools

Finally, there are also tools available for visualizing ASTs. These tools allow developers to easily view and debug their code. These tools can also be used to compare two different versions of a program to see what changes have been made.