What are the lab findings in autoimmune hemolytic anemia

strawberry

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to learn more about autoimmune hemolytic anemia and how to identify it. Specifically, I'm wondering what lab findings are associated with this condition. Does anyone have experience with autoimmune hemolytic anemia and can tell me what lab findings are typically seen? Any advice would be appreciated.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA) is a type of anemia caused by an abnormal immune response where the body’s own antibodies attack its own red blood cells. Lab findings can help diagnose AIHA, establish its cause, and guide treatment.

Lab Tests

Complete Blood Count (CBC): A CBC will show a decreased red blood cell count (anemia) and an increased reticulocyte count (immature red blood cells released by the bone marrow to help replace the destroyed red blood cells).

Direct Antiglobulin Test (DAT): The DAT detects the presence of antibodies or complement proteins attached to the red blood cell surface. A positive result indicates AIHA.

Indirect Antiglobulin Test (IAT): The IAT detects the presence of antibodies against red blood cells in the patient’s serum. A positive result indicates AIHA.

Hemoglobin Electrophoresis: Hemoglobin electrophoresis is a lab test that can distinguish between different types of hemoglobin. It can help determine the type of hemolysis occurring.

Coombs Test: The Coombs test is used to differentiate between AIHA and other types of hemolytic anemia. It can detect the presence of antibodies and/or complement proteins attached to the red blood cell surface.

Other Tests

Liver Function Tests: Liver function tests help rule out other causes of hemolytic anemia, such as hepatitis or other liver disease.

Thyroid Function Tests: Thyroid function tests are used to determine if there is an underlying autoimmune thyroid disorder, which can cause AIHA.

Kidney Function Tests: Kidney function tests are used to rule out other causes of hemolytic anemia, such as kidney disease.

Flow Cytometry: Flow cytometry is a lab test that can be used to measure the size of red blood cells and their Hemoglobin content. It can help determine the cause of hemolytic anemia, such as spherocytosis.