What are the lab findings for hemolysis

DreamWeaver

"Hello everyone! I'm hoping someone can help me out with some information. I'm trying to understand what the lab findings might be for hemolysis.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Lab findings for hemolysis can vary depending on the cause and severity of the condition. Common laboratory tests for hemolysis include:

Hemoglobin and Hematocrit Levels

The levels of hemoglobin and hematocrit, which are important components of red blood cells, will be decreased if hemolysis is occurring.

Complete Blood Count (CBC)

A CBC can provide information about the number and types of red blood cells present in the blood, as well as the size, shape and color of the red blood cells.

Reticulocyte Count

A reticulocyte count measures the number of new red blood cells produced by the bone marrow. An increased reticulocyte count indicates an increased production of red blood cells as a result of hemolysis.

Bilirubin Levels

Bilirubin is a breakdown product of hemoglobin. Increased levels of bilirubin in the blood indicate that red blood cells are being destroyed faster than they can be replaced.

Lactate Dehydrogenase (LDH) Levels

LDH is an enzyme found in red blood cells. High levels of LDH in the blood indicate that red blood cells are being destroyed.

Haptoglobin Levels

Haptoglobin is a protein that binds to hemoglobin when red blood cells are damaged. Low levels of haptoglobin in the blood indicate that red blood cells are being destroyed.