What are the lab features of autoimmune hemolytic anemia

IdeaGenius

"Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some help understanding the lab features of autoimmune hemolytic anemia. I'm trying to figure out what tests and results might be used to diagnose this condition, and what other lab features might be seen. Does anyone have any experience with this or know where I can find more information? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Lab Features of Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia

Autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA) is a rare condition in which a person's immune system mistakenly attacks and destroys their own red blood cells (RBCs). This leads to anemia, which is a shortage of red blood cells. AIHA is usually diagnosed through a combination of physical examination, laboratory tests, and medical imaging.

Lab tests are an important part of diagnosing AIHA. Different types of tests can help to identify the type of AIHA a person has, as well as assess the severity of the anemia. The following are some of the most common lab tests used to diagnose AIHA.

Complete Blood Count (CBC): The CBC is a test that looks at the number of red and white blood cells, as well as the amount of hemoglobin, in a person's blood. A CBC can help to identify anemia, as well as determine the type of anemia (i.e. AIHA).

Direct Coombs Test: The Direct Coombs Test is a type of antibody test that looks for antibodies that are attached to red blood cells. In AIHA, these antibodies are usually made by the immune system and can lead to the destruction of red blood cells.

Indirect Coombs Test: The Indirect Coombs Test is a different type of antibody test that looks for antibodies in the blood that are not attached to red blood cells. This test is used to identify the type of AIHA a person has, as different types of AIHA can cause different types of antibodies to be present in the blood.

Reticulocyte Count: The Reticulocyte Count is a test that looks at the number of immature red blood cells in the bloodstream. This test helps to determine how quickly the body is producing new red blood cells to replace the ones that have been destroyed by the immune system.

Hemoglobin Electrophoresis: Hemoglobin Electrophoresis is a test that looks at the types of hemoglobin in a person's blood. Different types of AIHA can cause different types of hemoglobin to be present.

These are some of the most common lab tests used to diagnose AIHA. It is important to note that a diagnosis of AIHA requires more than just lab tests; physical examination and medical imaging are also important parts of diagnosis.