What are the eye movements of a psychopath

IdeaGenius

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for help understanding the eye movements of a psychopath. I've heard that people with this mental disorder display certain tell-tale eye movements that distinguish them from the general population. Does anyone here have any experience with this, or know of any resources I could look into to learn more?

I'd really appreciate any insights or advice anyone could offer.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Psychopathy is a complex mental health disorder characterized by a lack of empathy, shallow emotions, manipulation, and a tendency to engage in criminal or dangerous behaviors. People with psychopathy may display distinctive patterns of eye movements and gaze behavior that can help clinicians and researchers identify and understand this disorder.

Eye Movements of Psychopaths

A 2020 study published in the journal PLOS One found that individuals with psychopathy had significantly different eye movements than those of healthy control participants. Specifically, the study found that individuals with psychopathy had a significantly higher frequency of fixations and a lower frequency of saccades compared to the control group.

Fixations occur when a person's gaze remains on a single point for a period of time. In contrast, saccades are rapid eye movements that allow a person to scan an area. The study found that individuals with psychopathy tended to focus on details rather than scanning their environment.

Gaze Aversion

Gaze aversion is another common eye movement associated with psychopathy. This behavior occurs when a person avoids making eye contact with another person. A 2019 study published in Frontiers in Neuroscience found that individuals with psychopathy had significantly higher levels of gaze aversion than the control group.

The study also found that individuals with psychopathy had a significantly higher frequency of eye blinks, which may indicate heightened anxiety. Additionally, the study found that individuals with psychopathy had a significantly lower frequency of pupil dilation compared to the control group, which may be indicative of reduced emotional arousal.

Conclusion

Eye movements can provide important insight into the underlying symptoms of psychopathy. Studies have found that individuals with psychopathy have a higher frequency of fixations and a lower frequency of saccades compared to the control group. Additionally, individuals with psychopathy tend to display higher levels of gaze aversion, eye blinks, and reduced pupil dilation.