What are the different types of autoimmune hemolytic anemia

strawberry

Hi, I'm new here and I was wondering if anyone here could help me out. I'm trying to learn more about the different types of autoimmune hemolytic anemia. I know very little about this condition and would like to learn more. Can anyone tell me about the specific types of autoimmune hemolytic anemia and what the symptoms are? Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA) is a condition in which the body's immune system mistakenly attacks and destroys its own red blood cells. This can lead to anemia, a decrease in red blood cells, which can cause a variety of symptoms, including fatigue, shortness of breath, and jaundice. AIHA can be acute or chronic, and there are several different types, depending on the underlying cause.

Types of Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia

Primary AIHA
Primary AIHA, also known as idiopathic AIHA, is the most common type and occurs when the body produces antibodies against its own red blood cells without an underlying cause.

Secondary AIHA
Secondary AIHA occurs when the body's immune system is triggered by an underlying medical condition, such as an infection, certain medications, or a chronic illness.

Autoimmune warm AIHA
Autoimmune warm AIHA is a type of AIHA in which the body produces antibodies against red blood cells that are only active at temperatures above normal body temperature.

Autoimmune cold AIHA
Autoimmune cold AIHA is a type of AIHA in which the body produces antibodies against red blood cells that are only active at temperatures below normal body temperature.

Drug-induced AIHA
Drug-induced AIHA is a type of AIHA that is triggered by certain medications, such as penicillin and sulfonamides.

Paroxysmal cold hemoglobinuria
Paroxysmal cold hemoglobinuria is a rare type of AIHA that is caused by an antibody that attaches to red blood cells at cold temperatures and destroys them.