What are the different types of AIHA

IdeaGenius

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and was hoping to get some advice about AIHA. From my understanding, AIHA stands for autoimmune hemolytic anemia, but I'm not sure what the different types are. Can anyone help me understand what the various types of AIHA are and how I can recognize them?

I'd really appreciate any help or advice that anyone can offer me.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
AIHA stands for Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia. It is an autoimmune disease caused by the body’s immune system attacking its own red blood cells. AIHA is classified into two main types:

Warm Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia

This is the most common type of AIHA, in which the body’s immune system produces antibodies which target its own red blood cells, causing them to be destroyed. This type is usually caused by an underlying disorder, such as an infection, cancer or rheumatoid arthritis.

Cold Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia

This type of AIHA is caused by the body’s immune system producing antibodies which only attack red blood cells in cold temperatures. This type of AIHA is usually seen in people who have been exposed to certain medications, infections or have a family history of the condition.

Mixed Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia

This is a rare type of AIHA, in which the body’s immune system produces antibodies which attack both warm and cold temperatures. This type of AIHA is usually caused by an underlying disorder, such as an infection, cancer or rheumatoid arthritis.

Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia of Unknown Cause

This is the rarest type of AIHA, in which the cause is unknown. This type of AIHA can be difficult to diagnose, as it doesn’t show the typical signs of AIHA, such as anemia or jaundice.