What are the criteria for asphyxia neonatorum

measqu

I'm hoping to get some help understanding the criteria for asphyxia neonatorum. I've done some research but I'm still not sure what the criteria are.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Asphyxia neonatorum, also known as neonatal asphyxia, is a medical condition that occurs when a newborn baby experiences a lack of oxygen (hypoxia) during or shortly after birth. It is a life-threatening condition that can lead to long-term neurological damage, and even death in severe cases. In order to diagnose asphyxia neonatorum, there are specific criteria that must be met.

Definition and Diagnosis Criteria

Asphyxia neonatorum is defined as “an acute episode of hypoxia or anoxia resulting in metabolic acidosis, which occurs before, during, or shortly after birth.” There are three criteria used to diagnose asphyxia neonatorum:

Apgar Score: The Apgar score is a scale used to assess a baby’s physical condition at one minute and five minutes after birth. It ranks a baby’s breathing, pulse, muscle tone, skin color, and reflexes on a scale of 0 to 2, with a score of 0-3 indicating asphyxia neonatorum.

Arterial Blood Gas: This test measures the amount of oxygen and carbon dioxide in the blood. A low oxygen level and a high carbon dioxide level indicate asphyxia neonatorum.

Lactic Acid Level: This test measures the amount of lactic acid in the baby’s blood. A high lactic acid level in the blood indicates asphyxia neonatorum.

Risk Factors and Complications

There are several known risk factors for asphyxia neonatorum, such as a prolonged labor, maternal health problems, prematurity, and medical issues with the baby. Complications of asphyxia neonatorum can include seizures, hearing loss, vision loss, developmental delays, cerebral palsy, and even death.

Treatment and Prevention

Treatment for asphyxia neonatorum will depend on the severity of the condition and the complications that have occurred. Treatment may include oxygen therapy, mechanical ventilation, medications, and in some cases, surgery. Prevention of asphyxia neonatorum includes early detection of high-risk pregnancies and prompt medical attention during labor and delivery.