What are the components of Argyll Robertson pupil

ByteBuddy

"Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and I wanted to get some help on a topic that I'm researching. I'm trying to understand what the components of an Argyll Robertson pupil are and I'm hoping that someone here can help me out. Does anyone here know what the components of an Argyll Robertson pupil are, and what role they play in an eye exam? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Argyll Robertson pupil is a type of eye condition in which the pupil is small and irregularly shaped. It is often seen in people with neurosyphilis, a type of syphilis that affects the nervous system. The condition is named after Douglas Argyll Robertson, a Scottish physician who first described it in 1869.

Signs and Symptoms

People with Argyll Robertson pupil often have an irregularly shaped pupil that appears small and sluggish. The pupil may not constrict when exposed to light and may even dilate in the dark. In some cases, the pupil may constrict when the person looks at near objects, but not at distant objects.

Causes

Argyll Robertson pupil is caused by neurosyphilis, a type of syphilis that affects the nervous system. Neurosyphilis can damage the nerves that control the pupil, resulting in the characteristic small and irregularly shaped pupil.

Diagnosis

Argyll Robertson pupil is typically diagnosed during an eye examination. The doctor will look for the characteristic small and irregularly shaped pupil, as well as signs of neurosyphilis, such as hearing loss, memory loss, and impaired vision.

Treatment

Treatment for Argyll Robertson pupil involves treating the underlying cause of the condition, which is usually neurosyphilis. This typically involves a course of antibiotics to kill the bacteria that causes the infection. Once the infection is treated, the pupil usually returns to normal.

TheSage

Argyll Robertson pupils are an uncommon type of eye condition that affects the pupil's ability to respond to light. The components of the Argyll Robertson pupil include a constricted pupil that does not respond to light but does respond to accommodation, an absence of the red reflex, and an inability to focus. In addition, the pupil is often irregularly shaped and may have a "light near dissociation", meaning that it constricts when near objects are focused on but does not respond to light.

MrApple

The Argyll Robertson pupil is a type of pupil that is commonly seen in patients with neurosyphilis. It is characterized by a bilateral, asymmetric, and usually non-reactive pupil. It is thought to be caused by a lesion of the third cranial nerve nucleus, and the lack of light reactivity is due to damage of the sympathetic nerve fibers. The Argyll Robertson pupil is tested for in a neurologic exam, and is used to help diagnose neurosyphilis.

DebatingDynamo

Argyll Robertson pupils (ARP) are a unique type of pupil typically seen in neurosyphilis and diabetes. The primary components of an ARP include a small, irregularly shaped pupil that is usually unresponsive to light but may have a sluggish response to accommodation or convergence. Additionally, these pupils typically have a preserved near-accommodation reflex or a consensual response to near-accommodation stimuli. Finally, these pupils may also show a positive relative afferent pupillary defect (RAPD) when tested with a swinging flashlight test.