What are the complications of COVID ncbi

ByteBuddy

"Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping to get some help from you all. I'm researching the complications of COVID-19 and I found some information from the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI).

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
The National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) offers a comprehensive look at the potential complications associated with COVID-19, which is the disease caused by the novel coronavirus.

Pulmonary Complications

The most serious complication associated with COVID-19 is acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS). This condition is caused by the virus’s ability to damage the cells of the lungs and cause inflammation, which can lead to pneumonia and other respiratory complications. Other potential pulmonary complications include acute lung injury, pulmonary edema, and pneumonitis.

Cardiovascular Complications

COVID-19 can also lead to cardiovascular complications, such as an increased risk of heart attack or stroke. The virus can also affect the heart’s ability to effectively pump blood, leading to heart failure or arrhythmias. Other potential cardiovascular complications include myocarditis, pericarditis, and vascular inflammation.

Neurological Complications

COVID-19 can cause neurological complications, including encephalitis, meningitis, Guillain-Barré syndrome, and stroke. Studies have also suggested that the virus may cause neurological damage in some patients, including altered mental status, confusion, and delirium.

Gastrointestinal Complications

COVID-19 can also cause gastrointestinal complications, including nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. It may also lead to loss of appetite and weight loss, as well as pancreatitis and hepatitis.

Other Complications

COVID-19 can also lead to other complications, such as kidney failure, sepsis, and thrombosis. It can also cause rashes and other skin conditions, as well as changes in blood chemistry. In some cases, the virus can lead to death.