What are the clinical manifestations of autoimmune hemolytic anemia

DreamWeaver

"Hi everyone, I'm new here and I'm hoping for some help with a medical question. I'm trying to learn more about autoimmune hemolytic anemia and the clinical manifestations associated with it. Can anyone provide me with some insight into this topic? What are the most common signs and symptoms of this condition? I would be so grateful for any advice or suggestions! Thanks in advance.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Clinical Manifestations of Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia

Autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA) is a rare but serious condition in which the body's immune system mistakenly attacks and destroys its own red blood cells (RBCs). This results in a decrease in the number of healthy RBCs and a decrease in the oxygen-carrying capacity of the body. The clinical manifestations of AIHA vary depending on the severity of the condition but can include fatigue, jaundice, shortness of breath, dizziness, chest pain, and enlarged spleen.

Fatigue: AIHA can cause fatigue due to the decrease in healthy RBCs, which decreases the body’s oxygen-carrying capacity. This can lead to feelings of exhaustion, even after minimal exertion.

Jaundice: AIHA can cause jaundice, which is a yellowing of the skin and eyes due to an increase in the levels of bilirubin in the blood.

Shortness of breath: AIHA can cause shortness of breath due to the decrease in healthy RBCs, which decreases the body’s oxygen-carrying capacity.

Dizziness: AIHA can cause dizziness due to a decrease in oxygen to the brain.

Chest pain: AIHA can cause chest pain due to a decrease in the number of healthy RBCs, which decreases the oxygen-carrying capacity of the body.

Enlarged spleen: AIHA can cause an enlarged spleen due to the body's immune system mistakenly attacking and destroying its own RBCs. This can lead to an accumulation of RBCs in the spleen, which can cause the organ to become enlarged.