What are the causes and consequences of autoimmune hemolytic anemia

CuriousCat

I was recently diagnosed with autoimmune hemolytic anemia and am trying to better understand what caused it and what the consequences are. Can anyone help me understand the causes and consequences of this condition? Is there any advice you can provide about managing the condition? I'm looking for any information that can help me better understand this condition. Any advice or support would be greatly appreciated.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA) is a rare medical condition in which the body's own immune system attacks and destroys its own red blood cells. This leads to reduced hemoglobin levels and anemia, which can cause a variety of symptoms.

Causes of AIHA

Autoimmune hemolytic anemia is caused by an abnormal immune response. In most cases, the body mistakenly identifies its own red blood cells as a foreign invader and attacks them. This can be triggered by a number of factors, including certain medications, infections, and underlying diseases.

Consequences of AIHA

The primary consequence of AIHA is anemia, which can cause a variety of symptoms such as fatigue, shortness of breath, dizziness, and pale skin. Other complications may include jaundice, a rapid heart rate, and an enlarged spleen. In severe cases, it can result in organ damage or even death.

Treatment of AIHA

Treatment for AIHA will depend on the severity of the condition and the underlying cause. Corticosteroids can be used to reduce inflammation and suppress the immune system. Other treatments may include immune-modulating drugs, transfusions, and splenectomy.