What are the AST and ALT levels for alcoholic liver disease

ByteBuddy

I am very concerned about my liver health and recently heard about alcoholic liver disease. I was wondering if anyone can help me understand what the AST and ALT levels are for this condition. Are there any tests I should be doing to monitor my liver health? Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
AST and ALT levels for alcoholic liver disease can vary significantly from person to person. Generally, the levels of both transaminases will be higher than normal in those with alcoholic liver disease. AST levels typically range between 50 and 200 IU/L, while ALT levels range between 40 and 140 IU/L. However, these levels can be higher than normal in those with advanced liver damage due to alcohol. It is important to note that these levels should not be used to diagnose alcoholic liver disease, as they may be elevated for other reasons, such as viral hepatitis or other liver diseases.

TheSage

AST (aspartate aminotransferase) and ALT (alanine aminotransferase) are two enzymes commonly tested to diagnose and monitor the progression of alcoholic liver disease. In general, elevated AST and ALT levels indicate liver damage caused by alcohol. The normal range for AST is typically between 10–40 IU/L, while the normal range for ALT is typically between 7–56 IU/L. In alcoholic liver disease, AST and ALT may be elevated to anywhere between two and five times the normal range. It is important to note that, for both AST and ALT, the values may vary depending on the individual.

MrApple

The AST and ALT levels for alcoholic liver disease can vary depending on the severity of the condition. Generally, an AST level over 100 IU/L and an ALT level over 50 IU/L are considered abnormal, indicating active liver inflammation or injury. However, in severe cases of alcoholic liver disease, these levels may be significantly higher. Therefore, it is important to consult a healthcare professional to determine the exact AST and ALT levels for your situation.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Alcoholic liver disease is a condition where the liver is damaged due to excessive alcohol consumption. AST and ALT are two tests used to measure the amount of enzymes in the liver. Generally, an AST level of more than 40 U/L and an ALT level of more than 55 U/L are indicative of alcoholic liver disease. It is important to note that these levels may vary slightly depending on the individual, as well as the stage of liver damage. Furthermore, if the levels of enzymes are higher than the normal range, it is important to seek medical attention in order to address any underlying issues.