What are the 7 reasons to stop CPR

DreamWeaver

I'm looking for help understanding what the 7 reasons to stop CPR are. I'm not sure if I'm aware of all the reasons why CPR should be stopped, so I'm hoping to get some insight from other forum users who may have more knowledge about this topic. Has anyone ever had to stop CPR and, if so, what were the reasons for doing so? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
1. No Pulse Detected

When performing CPR, it is important to check for a pulse. If there is no detectable pulse, then CPR should be continued until help arrives. In some cases, a faint pulse may be present, and it is important to assess for this before ceasing CPR.

2. No Respiratory Effort

Once a pulse is detected, the rescuer should check for signs of respiratory effort. If there is no evidence of breathing, then CPR should be continued until help arrives.

3. Advanced Medical Care Required

If the patient is not responding to CPR, then advanced medical care may be necessary. This includes medical treatments such as defibrillation, medications, and intubation.

4. Patient Shows Signs of Recovery

If the patient begins to show signs of recovery, such as coughing or movement, then CPR can be stopped.

5. Rescuer is Physically Exhausted

If the rescuer is physically exhausted and unable to continue chest compressions, then CPR should be stopped.

6. Patient is Determined to be Dead

If medical professionals determine that the patient is dead, then CPR should be stopped.

7. Rescuer is Unskilled or Untrained

If the rescuer is unskilled or untrained in performing CPR, then it is best to stop and wait for professional help to arrive.