What are the 5 types of transfusion reactions

CuriousCat

I'm hoping to get some help understanding transfusion reactions. I've read that there are 5 types of transfusion reactions, but I'm not sure what they are.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Types of Transfusion Reactions

Transfusion reactions occur when an individual receives a blood transfusion that is incompatible with their own blood type. There are five main types of transfusion reactions: anaphylactic, febrile non-hemolytic, acute hemolytic, delayed hemolytic, and transfusion-related acute lung injury (TRALI).

Anaphylactic Reactions
Anaphylactic reactions are the most serious type of transfusion reaction. These reactions occur when the individual's body reacts to an antigen in the transfused blood that is not present in their own blood type. This type of reaction can occur within minutes of the transfusion and can cause severe symptoms such as a drop in blood pressure, difficulty breathing, and shock.

Febrile Non-Hemolytic Reactions
Febrile non-hemolytic reactions occur when the individual's body reacts to white blood cells present in the transfused blood. This type of reaction can cause fever, chills, and other symptoms, but does not cause any destruction of the red blood cells.

Acute Hemolytic Reactions
Acute hemolytic reactions occur when the individual's body reacts to red blood cell antigens in the transfused blood. This type of reaction can cause the destruction of the red blood cells, leading to symptoms such as fever, back pain, and difficulty breathing.

Delayed Hemolytic Reactions
Delayed hemolytic reactions occur hours to weeks after the transfusion. These reactions are caused by the body's immune system attacking the red blood cells in the transfused blood. Symptoms of this type of reaction can include fever, fatigue, and jaundice.

Transfusion-Related Acute Lung Injury (TRALI)
Transfusion-related acute lung injury (TRALI) is a type of reaction caused by antibodies in donor plasma that attack the recipient's lung tissue. This type of reaction can cause difficulty breathing, chest pain, and low blood pressure.

These are the five main types of transfusion reactions. It is important to be aware of these reactions and to seek medical help if any of the symptoms of a transfusion reaction occur.