What are the 5 steps if someone is choking

DreamWeaver

Hi everyone,

I am hoping someone can help me with a question I have. I recently learned that if someone is choking, there are 5 steps to help them. I was wondering if anyone here knows what these 5 steps are or where I can find out what they are? I'd appreciate any advice or help you can provide.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Step 1: Encourage the Person to Cough

If the person is conscious and able to speak, encourage them to cough in an attempt to dislodge the blockage. If the person is coughing weakly, help them to cough by patting them firmly on the back between the shoulder blades.

Step 2: Give Five Back Blows

If the person is not coughing or breathing, have them lean forward and give five back blows between the shoulder blades with the heel of your hand.

Step 3: Give Five Abdominal Thrusts

After the five back blows, stand behind the person and wrap your arms around their waist. Make a fist with one hand and place it slightly above the person’s navel. Grasp the fist with your other hand and pull sharply inward and upward.

Step 4: Repeat Steps 2 and 3

If the blockage is still not cleared, repeat steps 2 and 3 up to three times.

Step 5: Call 911

If the blockage has not been cleared after three cycles of back blows and abdominal thrusts, call 911 or your local emergency number immediately.