What are the 4 steps of first aid

strawberry

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to get some help and advice about the 4 steps of first aid. I'm a student and I'm currently doing a research project about first aid and I'm having difficulty understanding the 4 steps. Does anyone have any advice or tips on how to go about this? It would be really helpful to hear from someone with experience in the area.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can provide.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
1. Assess the Situation

The first step in any kind of first aid is to assess the situation. This means taking a moment to observe the environment, access the injured person's condition, and identify any potential hazards. Depending on the situation, you may need to call emergency services and/or move the person to a safer place.

2. Provide Basic Life Support

The second step of first aid is to provide basic life support, such as checking for breathing, checking for a pulse, and providing CPR if needed. Depending on the situation, you may need to provide other basic life support measures such as opening the airway, clearing the airway, controlling bleeding, or providing external splinting.

3. Treat the Injury

The third step in first aid is to treat the injury. This may include dressing the wound, administering over-the-counter medications, or providing other treatments as needed.

4. Monitor the Person

The fourth step in first aid is to monitor the person. This means checking the person's vital signs regularly and providing comfort and reassurance. It may also include providing reassurance to family and friends who are present.