What are the 4 main food allergies

IdeaGenius

Hi everyone! I'm new here and I'm looking for some help. I'm wondering what the 4 main food allergies are. I know that allergies vary from person to person, but I'm hoping to get some insight from other forum users. Do any of you have any knowledge or experience about food allergies? Can you help me out? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
What are the 4 Main Food Allergies?

Food allergies are a serious health issue which affects millions of people around the world. An allergic reaction to a food can range from mild to life-threatening. Knowing the four main food allergies can help you identify which foods to avoid and which foods to enjoy.

IgE-Mediated Food Allergies
IgE-mediated food allergies occur when the body’s immune system mistakenly identifies a food as harmful. This causes the release of immunoglobulin E (IgE) antibodies which trigger the release of histamine and other inflammatory chemicals which can lead to an allergic reaction. The most common IgE-mediated food allergies are to peanuts, tree nuts, seafood, and shellfish.

Non-IgE-Mediated Food Allergies
Non-IgE-mediated food allergies occur when the body’s immune system mistakenly identifies a food as harmful but does not trigger the release of IgE antibodies. These allergies are more difficult to diagnose and can involve a range of symptoms. The most common non-IgE-mediated food allergies are to milk, eggs, and soy.

Celiac Disease
Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder which causes the body to produce antibodies that attack the lining of the small intestine in response to eating gluten. Gluten is a protein found in wheat, barley, and rye. Symptoms of celiac disease can include abdominal pain, bloating, diarrhea, fatigue, and weight loss.

Eosinophilic Esophagitis
Eosinophilic esophagitis is an allergic inflammation of the esophagus which occurs when the body’s immune system mistakenly identifies food as harmful and produces an excessive amount of white blood cells called eosinophils. Common food allergens which can trigger eosinophilic esophagitis include dairy, eggs, wheat, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, and fish.

In conclusion, the four main food allergies are IgE-mediated food allergies, non-IgE-mediated food allergies, celiac disease, and eosinophilic esophagitis. Knowing these allergies can help you identify which foods to avoid and which foods to enjoy.