What are the 3 main groups of a personality disorder

CuriousCat

Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some help. I'm curious about personality disorders and I'm wondering what the 3 main groups are. Does anyone here have any experience with personality disorders and could tell me what the 3 main groups are? I'd really appreciate any help I can get! Thanks in advance.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Introduction

Personality disorders are a group of mental health conditions that are characterized by patterns of behavior that impair functioning and relationships. They can be divided into three main groups: Cluster A (odd or eccentric behaviors), Cluster B (dramatic, emotional, or erratic behaviors), and Cluster C (anxious or fearful behaviors).

Cluster A

Cluster A personality disorders are characterized by odd or eccentric behaviors. These disorders include:

• Paranoid Personality Disorder: A pattern of suspiciousness and mistrust of others, often accompanied by feelings of anger, jealousy, and envy.

• Schizoid Personality Disorder: A pattern of detachment from social relationships and a lack of interest in activities.

• Schizotypal Personality Disorder: A pattern of social anxiety, distorted thinking, and eccentric behavior.

Cluster B

Cluster B personality disorders are characterized by dramatic, emotional, or erratic behaviors. These disorders include:

• Borderline Personality Disorder: A pattern of intense and unstable relationships, impulsivity, and emotional instability.

• Histrionic Personality Disorder: A pattern of attention-seeking behavior and exaggeration of emotions.

• Narcissistic Personality Disorder: A pattern of grandiosity, need for admiration, and lack of empathy.

• Antisocial Personality Disorder: A pattern of disregard for the rights of others and a disregard for social norms.

Cluster C

Cluster C personality disorders are characterized by anxious or fearful behaviors. These disorders include:

• Avoidant Personality Disorder: A pattern of social inhibition, feelings of inadequacy, and hypersensitivity to criticism.

• Dependent Personality Disorder: A pattern of excessive neediness and reliance on others.

• Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder: A pattern of preoccupation with orderliness, perfectionism, and control.