What are the 3 clusters of DSM-5 personality disorders

strawberry

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some help understanding the three clusters of DSM-5 personality disorders. I am studying psychology and I am having a hard time understanding which disorders fall into which clusters. Can anyone please help me out with this?

I would really appreciate any advice or resources that anyone can provide to help me understand this better.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Cluster A Personality Disorders

Cluster A personality disorders, also known as odd or eccentric personality disorders, are characterized by odd, eccentric, or peculiar ways of thinking and behaving. These disorders include:

Paranoid Personality Disorder: People with paranoid personality disorder are excessively suspicious and distrustful of others. They often think people are out to hurt or deceive them.

Schizoid Personality Disorder: People with schizoid personality disorder are emotionally distant and prefer to be alone. They often have difficulty forming relationships with others and lack the capacity to feel pleasure.

Schizotypal Personality Disorder: People with schizotypal personality disorder have difficulty forming relationships and often have strange beliefs or behaviors. They may also have ideas of reference.

Cluster B Personality Disorders

Cluster B personality disorders, also known as dramatic or emotional personality disorders, are characterized by intense, unstable emotions and impulsive behavior. These disorders include:

Borderline Personality Disorder: People with borderline personality disorder have difficulty regulating their emotions and often have intense relationships with others. They may also have difficulty controlling their impulses.

Histrionic Personality Disorder: People with histrionic personality disorder are intensely dramatic and emotional. They are often overly concerned with their appearance and may be overly flirtatious.

Narcissistic Personality Disorder: People with narcissistic personality disorder are excessively self-centered and have an inflated sense of self-importance. They often have difficulty empathizing with others and may exploit them for their own gain.

Antisocial Personality Disorder: People with antisocial personality disorder have a disregard for the rights of others and often act impulsively. They may also engage in criminal or dangerous behaviors.

Cluster C Personality Disorders

Cluster C personality disorders, also known as anxious or fearful personality disorders, are characterized by anxious or fearful behavior. These disorders include:

Avoidant Personality Disorder: People with avoidant personality disorder are overly sensitive to criticism and rejection and often feel inadequate. They may avoid social situations due to fear of being judged or rejected.

Dependent Personality Disorder: People with dependent personality disorder often rely on others for support and may be overly submissive. They may also have difficulty making decisions and may feel helpless when alone.

Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder: People with obsessive-compulsive personality disorder are excessively preoccupied with orderliness, perfectionism, and control. They may have difficulty with flexibility and may be overly focused on rules and details.