What are the 2 types of Coombs test

IdeaGenius

I'm looking for some help understanding the two types of Coombs tests. I've heard of the direct and indirect tests, but I'm not sure what the difference is or how they're used. Does anyone have any experience with either of these tests? Can you explain the difference and how they're used? Any advice or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
The Coombs test is an immunoassay used to detect the presence of antibodies or antigens in the blood. It is used to diagnose a variety of conditions, including autoimmune hemolytic anemia, Rh incompatibility, and drug-induced immune hemolysis. There are two main types of Coombs tests: the direct Coombs test and the indirect Coombs test.

Direct Coombs Test

The direct Coombs test is also known as a direct antiglobulin test (DAT). It is used to detect the presence of antibodies attached to the red blood cells. Antibodies can be either IgG or complement proteins. The test is performed by adding antihuman globulin (AHG) to the sample. If antibodies are present, the AHG will bind to them, causing agglutination of the red blood cells.

Indirect Coombs Test

The indirect Coombs test is used to detect the presence of free antibodies in the serum of a patient. It is performed by mixing the patient’s serum with red blood cells of a known type. If antibodies are present, they will bind to the red blood cells, causing agglutination. The presence of agglutination indicates that the patient has antibodies in their serum.