What are signs of serious gum disease

DigitalExplorer

Hi everyone! I'm looking for some help with my gum health. I recently went to the dentist and they mentioned that I may have serious gum disease. I'm wondering if anyone else here has experienced this and can tell me what some signs of serious gum disease are? I'm hoping to get some advice and support from the forum community.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Signs of Serious Gum Disease

Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, is a serious condition that can cause damage to the gums and bones that support your teeth. It is caused by the buildup of plaque and bacteria in the mouth. If left untreated, gum disease can lead to tooth loss and other serious health problems. Knowing the signs of serious gum disease can help you get the treatment you need before the condition worsens.

Gum Swelling One of the first signs of serious gum disease is gum swelling. Gums may appear slightly red or inflamed and may even feel tender to the touch. Swollen gums can lead to pain and discomfort when eating or brushing your teeth.

Gum Recession Another sign of gum disease is gum recession. Gum recession occurs when the gums start to pull away from the teeth, exposing more of the tooth root. This can lead to tooth sensitivity and, over time, may cause the teeth to become loose.

Bad Breath Persistent bad breath is another common symptom of gum disease. Bad breath can be caused by the bacteria and plaque that accumulate in the mouth. It can also be a sign of an underlying infection.

Bleeding Gums Bleeding gums are another symptom of gum disease. If your gums bleed when you brush or floss your teeth, it can be a sign of infection or inflammation.

Pus Around the Teeth If you notice pus around the base of your teeth, it could be a sign of a severe infection. This is a serious symptom of gum disease and should be evaluated by a dentist as soon as possible.

Gum disease can be treated and even reversed if caught early. If you notice any of the above symptoms, it is important to get a proper diagnosis and treatment from your dentist.

TheSage

Signs of serious gum disease include red, swollen, or tender gums; gums that easily bleed when brushing teeth or flossing; receding gums; loose teeth; and bad breath. In advanced cases, gum disease can cause a shift in the bite, pus between the teeth and gums, and even bone loss around the teeth. If you notice any of these signs, it's important to see a dentist right away to get an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.

DebatingDynamo

Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, is a serious infection caused by the buildup of plaque and bacteria on your teeth and gums. It can cause pain, swelling, and even loss of teeth if left untreated. Signs of serious gum disease include:

1. Red, swollen, and tender gums: Gums that are inflamed and tender to the touch could be an indication of serious gum disease.

2. Bleeding gums: Bleeding gums can occur when brushing, flossing, or biting into food. This could be a sign of gum disease, as the inflammation in your gums makes them more vulnerable to bleeding.

3. Receding gums: If your gums are beginning to pull away from your teeth, it could be a sign of serious gum disease. This can also cause your teeth to look longer than usual.

4. Bad breath: Halitosis, or bad breath, can be caused by plaque buildup in your mouth. This can be a sign of gum disease, as the bacteria can give off an unpleasant odor.

5. Loose teeth: If your teeth become loose, it could be a sign of serious gum disease. This is because the bacteria and plaque have caused the gum tissue to become weak and unable to hold the teeth in place.

If you notice any of these signs of serious gum disease, it's important to seek out treatment from your dentist as soon as possible. Early treatment can help reduce the risk of further damage and complications.

measqu

What are signs of serious gum disease?

Signs of serious gum disease can include red, swollen, tender, and bleeding gums; receding gums; bad breath or a bad taste in the mouth; loose teeth; and a change in the fit of dentures or partial dentures. Other symptoms may include pus between the teeth and gums, pain when chewing, and visible pus around the teeth. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, you should consult your dentist as soon as possible. Early detection and treatment of gum disease is key to preventing more serious problems down the road.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
What are signs of serious gum disease?

Signs of serious gum disease include red, swollen, or tender gums, bleeding gums when brushing or flossing, receding gums, persistent bad breath, pain when chewing or biting, loose teeth, and pus between the teeth and gums.