What are late complications of birth asphyxia

DigitalExplorer

Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some help. I recently heard about birth asphyxia and was wondering what the late complications are. Can anyone provide me with some information on this topic? I'd really appreciate any help or resources that can be provided.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Late complications of birth asphyxia can include a range of physical, cognitive, and developmental disabilities. These can include:

Cerebral Palsy

Cerebral palsy is a motor disorder caused by injury to the brain before, during, or after birth. Its effects can range from mild to severe, and include difficulties with movement, balance, coordination, and posture.

Developmental Delays

Babies can experience developmental delays due to birth asphyxia, including delays in language, communication, and cognitive skills. These can be mild or severe, depending on the extent of the asphyxia and the baby's overall health.

Seizures

Seizures can occur as a result of birth asphyxia. They can be mild or severe, and may require medication to control them.

Behavioral and Mental Health Issues

Babies born with birth asphyxia may develop behavioral and mental health issues, such as attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), anxiety, depression, and autism spectrum disorder.

Organ Damage

Birth asphyxia can cause organ damage, including damage to the brain, lungs, heart, and kidneys. These can have long-term effects on a baby's health.

Growth and Nutrition Problems

Babies who experience birth asphyxia may have difficulty gaining weight and growing. They may also have difficulty breastfeeding or taking formula.