What are 4 post mortem signs of death

CuriousCat

I'm looking for help understanding post mortem signs of death. I'm trying to learn about the four signs which indicate that death has occurred. Can anyone help me understand what they are and how they are used? Any advice or resources would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Post Mortem Signs of Death

Post mortem signs of death are indications of death that appear after death has taken place. The four most common post mortem signs of death are:

Rigor Mortis: Rigor mortis is the stiffening of the body that follows death. It usually begins in the face and neck, and then progresses to the arms, legs, and torso. It usually takes about two to six hours to take full effect, and can last up to 36 hours.

Livor Mortis: Livor mortis is the pooling of blood in the lower parts of the body due to gravity. It usually begins to appear after two to four hours after death, and can last up to 24 hours.

Algor Mortis: Algor mortis is the cooling of the body due to the loss of body heat. The body temperature drops by 1.5 degrees Celsius per hour, and the temperature can be used to help estimate the time of death.

Decomposition: Decomposition is the breakdown of the body due to bacteria and enzymes that are released after death. It usually begins to occur within hours of death, and can take weeks or months to complete.