What are 4 common blood transfusion reactions

strawberry

"Hello everyone, I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm looking for information on the 4 most common blood transfusion reactions. I know that some reactions can be severe, so I want to make sure I'm fully informed before I proceed.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Common Blood Transfusion Reactions

Blood transfusions are the process of transferring blood or blood-based products from one person to another. Although these procedures are generally safe, there are some risks and possible complications associated with them. Four of the most common reactions to blood transfusions are:

Febrile Non-Hemolytic Reaction

A febrile non-hemolytic reaction (FNHTR) is a mild reaction caused by the transfusion of incompatible blood. It is characterized by a fever, headache, chills, and nausea and usually occurs within 24 hours of the transfusion.

Acute Hemolytic Reaction

An acute hemolytic reaction is a serious reaction caused by an incompatibility between the donor and recipient's blood. This reaction is characterized by fever, chills, low blood pressure, and back pain. It is usually caused by the transfusion of incompatible blood types and can be fatal in some cases.

Allergic Reaction

An allergic reaction can occur when a recipient is exposed to a foreign substance in the donor's blood, such as an antibiotic or a preservative. Symptoms of an allergic reaction include hives, itching, wheezing, and difficulty breathing.

Transfusion-related Acute Lung Injury (TRALI)

TRALI is a rare but serious reaction that occurs when the donor's white blood cells attack the recipient's lungs. Symptoms of TRALI include shortness of breath, low oxygen levels, and coughing up blood. It can be fatal if not treated promptly.