What are 2 types of inherited hemolytic anemia

CuriousCat

I'm hoping to get help from other forum users about inherited hemolytic anemia. Could someone help me better understand what types of this anemia exist? I know it's an inherited disorder, but I'm not sure if there are different kinds. I'm looking for information about the two types of inherited hemolytic anemia and how they might be diagnosed and treated. Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
1. Hereditary Spherocytosis

Hereditary spherocytosis is an inherited hemolytic anemia, a type of blood disorder in which red blood cells are abnormally shaped, making them less efficient at carrying oxygen. It is caused by mutations in proteins that form the cell membranes of red blood cells. Symptoms of hereditary spherocytosis include jaundice, anemia, and fatigue. Treatment typically involves the removal of the spleen, which helps to reduce the destruction of the red blood cells.

2. Glucose-6-Phosphate Dehydrogenase Deficiency

Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency (G6PD) is an inherited hemolytic anemia caused by mutations in the G6PD gene. This gene produces an enzyme that helps red blood cells to process glucose and other nutrients. If this enzyme is deficient, red blood cells can become damaged and destroyed more easily. Symptoms of G6PD deficiency include jaundice, anemia, and fatigue. Treatment typically involves avoiding certain medications and foods that can trigger red blood cell destruction.