What antibodies cause AIHA

DigitalExplorer

Hey everyone,
I'm new here and I'm hoping to get some help with a health question I have. I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with AIHA (Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia) and can tell me what antibodies cause it? I've been researching the condition online, but haven't been able to find a clear answer.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
AIHA stands for Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia, which is a condition where the body's immune system mistakenly attacks and destroys its own red blood cells. In AIHA, antibodies are produced that target the body’s own red blood cells. The most common antibodies that are responsible for AIHA are IgG, IgM, and IgA.

IgG Antibodies

IgG antibodies are the most common antibodies present in AIHA and are responsible for approximately 80% of cases. These antibodies are produced by plasma cells and are the largest and most abundant antibodies in the body. IgG antibodies are able to attach to red blood cells and cause them to be destroyed by the immune system.

IgM Antibodies

IgM antibodies are less common than IgG antibodies in AIHA, but they are still present in approximately 15% of cases. These antibodies are produced by B-cells and are able to bind to red blood cells and cause them to be destroyed by the immune system.

IgA Antibodies

IgA antibodies are the least common antibodies present in AIHA, but they are still present in approximately 5% of cases. These antibodies are produced by B-cells and are able to bind to red blood cells and cause them to be destroyed by the immune system.

In conclusion, IgG, IgM, and IgA antibodies are the most common antibodies that cause AIHA.