What antibiotics trigger G6PD

ByteBuddy

I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for help with understanding what antibiotics can trigger G6PD. I've recently been informed that I have G6PD deficiency and I'm looking for more information about what antibiotics I should avoid. Does anyone have any insight or advice on what antibiotics can trigger G6PD? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
G6PD is an enzyme found in red blood cells. Deficiency in this enzyme can cause anemia and other serious medical conditions. People with G6PD deficiency must be careful when taking antibiotics, as some can cause severe reactions.

Antibiotics Known to Trigger G6PD Deficiency

Sulfonamides are a type of antibiotic used to treat a variety of bacterial infections. Sulfonamides are known to trigger G6PD deficiency in some people. Examples of sulfonamides include sulfamethoxazole, trimethoprim, and sulfadiazine.

Nitrofurantoin is an antibiotic used to treat urinary tract infections. It can also trigger G6PD deficiency in some people.

Dapsone is an antibiotic used to treat leprosy and dermatitis herpetiformis. It can also trigger G6PD deficiency in some people.

Chloramphenicol is an antibiotic used to treat a variety of bacterial infections. It can also trigger G6PD deficiency in some people.

Other Medications that May Trigger G6PD Deficiency

In addition to antibiotics, certain other medications can also trigger G6PD deficiency in some people. These include antimalarial drugs, certain pain medications, and some chemotherapy drugs.

Precautions When Taking Medications

If you have G6PD deficiency, it is important to talk to your doctor before taking any medications. Your doctor can help you understand which medications are safe for you to take and which ones may trigger a reaction. It is also important to tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, as some medications may not be safe for you to take.