What ALT level is high in gallstone pancreatitis

DreamWeaver

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping to get some help. I'm trying to understand what constitutes a high ALT level in relation to gallstone pancreatitis. Does anyone have any experience in this area, or have any advice to give? I would really appreciate any help that I can get, as I'm struggling to find reliable sources of information.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
ALT (Alanine transaminase) is an enzyme found in the liver. High levels of this enzyme are often seen in gallstone pancreatitis, a condition in which gallstones become lodged in the pancreatic ducts and cause inflammation. The normal range for ALT in the blood is from 10 to 40 IU/L (international units per liter). However, in gallstone pancreatitis, ALT levels can be as high as 200 IU/L or more.

In order to diagnose gallstone pancreatitis, doctors may also use other tests such as imaging studies and blood tests. For example, they may order an abdominal ultrasound or a computed tomography (CT) scan to check for the presence of gallstones in the biliary tract. They may also order a complete blood count (CBC) to check for any signs of inflammation or infection.

If you are experiencing symptoms of gallstone pancreatitis, it is important to seek medical advice as soon as possible. If left untreated, gallstone pancreatitis can lead to serious complications, such as pancreatic necrosis, abscesses, and even death. Treatment for gallstone pancreatitis may include surgery to remove the gallstones, antibiotics to fight infection, or other medications to reduce inflammation.