What allergy medicine works immediately

DigitalExplorer

I'm looking for help about what allergy medicine works immediately. I need something that will kick in fast to help relieve the symptoms I'm experiencing. Does anyone have any suggestions of medications that have worked well for them? I'm open to both over the counter and prescription options so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Antihistamines

Antihistamines are medications that can provide relief from allergy symptoms almost immediately. Some examples of antihistamines that are available over-the-counter include loratadine (Claritin), cetirizine (Zyrtec), and fexofenadine (Allegra). These medications block the action of histamine in the body, which is a chemical that is released during an allergic reaction. They usually start to work within 30 minutes and can last for up to 24 hours.

Nasal Sprays

Nasal sprays are another type of medication that can provide fast relief from allergy symptoms. These sprays contain medications such as oxymetazoline (Afrin) and fluticasone (Flonase). Nasal sprays can start to work within minutes and can last for up to 12 hours.

Decongestants

Decongestants are medications that can help to reduce nasal congestion. Examples of decongestants include pseudoephedrine (Sudafed) and phenylephrine (Sudafed PE). These medications can start to work within 15 minutes and can last for up to 12 hours.

Eye Drops

Eye drops are another type of medication that can help to reduce eye allergy symptoms. Examples of eye drops that are available over-the-counter include ketotifen (Zaditor) and naphazoline (Visine). These medications can start to work within minutes and can last for up to 12 hours.