What allergy medicine is good for a cold

strawberry

I'm looking for some advice on what allergy medicine is good for a cold. I'm new to taking allergy medicine, so I'm not sure which one would be the best to take for a cold. Does anyone have any experience with this? What did you take? Did it help? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Allergy Medicine for Colds

The common cold is a viral infection of the upper respiratory tract and is the most common illness in the U.S. Unfortunately, there is no cure for the common cold, but there are certain medications that can help reduce the symptoms. Allergy medicines are one type of medication that can be used to relieve cold symptoms.

Antihistamines are a type of allergy medicine that can be used to treat cold symptoms. Antihistamines work by blocking the release of histamine, a chemical in the body that causes allergy symptoms such as sneezing, itching, and watery eyes. Antihistamines can also help reduce congestion, making it easier to breathe. Common antihistamines include Benadryl, Claritin, and Zyrtec.

Decongestants are another type of allergy medicine that can be used to treat cold symptoms. Decongestants work by narrowing the blood vessels in the nose, reducing swelling and congestion. This makes it easier to breathe and can help with other symptoms such as a runny nose and headache. Common decongestants include Sudafed, Actifed, and Mucinex.

Cough Suppressants are another type of allergy medicine that can be used to treat cold symptoms. Cough suppressants work by suppressing the urge to cough, which can help relieve the body of excess mucus and other symptoms associated with a cold. Common cough suppressants include Robitussin and Delsym.

Although allergy medicines can be used to treat cold symptoms, it is important to note that they are not a cure for the common cold. If symptoms persist after using allergy medicines, it is important to consult a doctor.