What age is most likely to choke

DreamWeaver

Hello all! I'm very curious about what age group may be the most likely to choke. I have seen some studies that suggest it can happen to people of any age, but I'm wondering if there are any statistics or personal experiences out there that can help me get a better understanding of this.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Infants

Infants are at the highest risk of choking and suffocation due to their immature swallowing reflexes and airway development. Infants aged 0-1 are most likely to choke due to their small airways and the inability to clear their throat. Infants can also choke on small objects, such as coins, buttons, and other small toys.

Toddlers and Young Children

Toddlers and young children aged 1-5 are also at risk of choking, due to their tendency to put objects into their mouths. Children at this age are also at risk of choking on foods that are too large for them, such as hot dogs, grapes, or popcorn. Additionally, they may not understand the dangers of choking, and may not know how to respond if they start to choke.

Older Children and Adults

Older children and adults are at risk of choking due to their tendency to eat quickly and not chew their food properly. Additionally, they may not be aware of the signs and symptoms of choking, and may not be able to respond appropriately if they start to choke. Additionally, adults may be more likely to choke on alcohol, as it can impair their ability to swallow.