What age does cold agglutinin occur

DigitalExplorer

I'm looking for help understanding when cold agglutinin occurs. I've done some research, but I'm still not sure what age it typically appears.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Cold Agglutinin Occurrence Age

Cold agglutinin is a type of antibody produced by the body in response to an infection. It is usually found in people of all ages, though the incidence increases with age. Cold agglutinin is most common in adults over the age of 50. In some cases, it can be found in children and young adults as well.

Antibodies are proteins produced by the immune system that recognize and help fight off foreign substances, such as bacteria and viruses. Cold agglutinin is an antibody that reacts to cold temperatures, causing red blood cells to clump together. This clumping can lead to anemia, a condition where red blood cells are unable to carry oxygen throughout the body.

Infection is the most common cause of cold agglutinin. It can be caused by a number of different viruses, such as the Epstein-Barr virus, cytomegalovirus, and parvovirus. Additionally, some bacterial infections, such as Mycoplasma pneumoniae, can trigger the production of cold agglutinin.

Anemia is the most common symptom of cold agglutinin. Other symptoms may include fatigue, shortness of breath, dizziness, pale skin, and cold intolerance. Treatment typically involves managing the underlying infection, as well as providing supportive care. In some cases, medications may be used to reduce the amount of cold agglutinin in the blood.