What age does autoimmune hemolytic anemia occur

strawberry

I'm looking for information about autoimmune hemolytic anemia and I'm wondering what age it typically occurs. Does anyone have any experience with or knowledge of autoimmune hemolytic anemia? I'm particularly interested in understanding what age is most common to develop the condition. I'm hoping to find out more about the age range of this condition, so any help or advice from other forum users would be greatly appreciated.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA) is a rare disorder that occurs when the body's immune system mistakenly attacks and destroys its own red blood cells. It can occur at any age, from infancy to adulthood.

Signs and Symptoms

Common signs and symptoms of AIHA include:

• Fatigue

• Pale skin

• Rapid heart rate

• Shortness of breath

• Yellowing of the skin or eyes (jaundice)

• Dark urine

• Fever

• Cold hands and feet

• Dizziness or lightheadedness

• Abdominal pain

• Headache

• Weight loss

• Enlarged spleen

Diagnosis

AIHA is usually diagnosed with a complete blood count (CBC) test, which measures the number of red blood cells in the body. Other tests may also be performed to confirm the diagnosis, such as a direct antiglobulin test (DAT) and a reticulocyte count.

Treatment

Treatment for AIHA usually includes medications, such as corticosteroids or immunosuppressants, to suppress the immune system and stop it from attacking the red blood cells. In some cases, a blood transfusion may also be necessary. In severe cases, a bone marrow or stem cell transplant may be recommended.