What age can you get hemolytic anemia

measqu

I'm looking for help from anyone experienced with hemolytic anemia. What age can someone get this condition? I'm especially interested in hearing from people who have been diagnosed with hemolytic anemia, or who have a family member with the condition. Are there any age-related risk factors? What treatments are available? I'm concerned about the long-term effects of this condition, so any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Hemolytic anemia is a type of anemia caused by the breakdown of red blood cells. It can affect people of any age, but is most common in older adults. It can be caused by a number of different conditions, including infections, autoimmune disorders, and reactions to certain medications.

Symptoms of Hemolytic Anemia

The most common symptom of hemolytic anemia is fatigue, as the body is not getting enough oxygen from the red blood cells. Other symptoms may include shortness of breath, pale skin, yellowish eyes or skin, and dark urine.

Diagnosis of Hemolytic Anemia

In order to diagnose hemolytic anemia, your doctor may order a complete blood count (CBC), which will measure the number of red blood cells in your blood. Other tests may include a blood smear, which will help identify the type of hemolytic anemia, and a reticulocyte count, which will measure the number of immature red blood cells in your blood.

Treatment of Hemolytic Anemia

Treatment for hemolytic anemia will depend on the underlying cause. If an infection is causing the anemia, antibiotics may be prescribed. If an autoimmune disorder is causing the anemia, immunosuppressive medications may be prescribed. In some cases, a blood transfusion may be necessary to replace the lost red blood cells.