Should I be concerned about high AST levels

IdeaGenius

I recently had a checkup and my AST levels were higher than normal. I'm worried that something might be wrong, and I'm wondering if I should be concerned. Does anyone have any experience with high AST levels, or know of any potential health risks? Are there any lifestyle changes I can make to lower my AST levels? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
AST, or aspartate aminotransferase, is an enzyme found in the liver and other organs. Elevated levels of AST can be an indication of a number of medical conditions, ranging from viral infections to liver damage. It is important to understand the context of an elevated AST reading to determine its significance.

What is AST?

AST, also known as aspartate aminotransferase, is an enzyme found in the liver, heart, and other organs. It is released into the bloodstream when these organs have been damaged or inflamed. AST is routinely measured in blood tests as part of a liver panel.

What Causes High AST Levels?

Elevated AST levels can be caused by a variety of medical conditions, including viral hepatitis, alcohol abuse, mononucleosis, cirrhosis, and liver cancer. Other conditions such as heart attack, muscular dystrophy, and pancreatitis can also cause increased AST levels.

What Are the Risk Factors?

The risk factors for high AST levels vary depending on the underlying cause. For example, individuals at risk for viral hepatitis include intravenous drug users, people who have multiple sexual partners, and those who travel to areas with high rates of hepatitis infection. Alcohol abuse and liver damage are also risk factors for high AST levels.

When Should I See a Doctor?

It is important to consult with a physician if you experience any symptoms associated with high AST levels, such as jaundice, fatigue, abdominal pain, or loss of appetite. Your doctor can assess your symptoms, order blood tests, and determine the cause of your elevated AST levels. Treatment will vary depending on the underlying condition.