Should ALT always be higher than AST

DigitalExplorer

I'm a bit concerned about my recent blood test results. My ALT was slightly higher than my AST, and I'm not sure if this is normal or not. I've heard that ALT should be higher than AST, but I'm not sure if this is always the case. Does anyone have any advice or experiences they can share to help me understand this better? Any help would be much appreciated.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
ALT and AST are both important markers in the blood that measure the amount of certain enzymes in the body. They are both important in determining the overall health of a person, but they should not always be higher than one another.

What is ALT?

ALT stands for alanine aminotransferase, which is an enzyme found in the liver, heart, kidneys, and other organs. It is used to measure the level of damage to the liver, as it can indicate liver damage when it is elevated.

What is AST?

AST stands for aspartate aminotransferase, which is also an enzyme found in the liver, heart, and kidneys. It is used to measure the level of damage to the heart, as it can indicate heart damage when it is elevated.

Should ALT Always Be Higher Than AST?

No, ALT and AST should not always be higher than one another. In some cases, AST can be higher than ALT, and this is perfectly normal. However, if both ALT and AST are elevated, then it could be an indication of liver or heart damage. It is important to consult with a doctor if both ALT and AST are elevated in order to determine the cause and receive the appropriate treatment.