Is the old pancreas removed with pancreas transplant

strawberry

I am considering a pancreas transplant, and I have heard that the old pancreas is removed. Can anyone tell me more about it? Is there an alternative to removing the old pancreas? Are there any risks associated with the procedure? Are there any long-term effects of the transplant? I'm looking for any personal experiences or advice you may have. Please help me understand more about pancreas transplant and what it involves.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Pancreas Transplant:

Subtitle Forum
Yes, in a pancreas transplant, the old pancreas is usually removed. A pancreas transplant is a surgical procedure in which a healthy pancreas is transplanted into a person with diabetes. During the transplant, the old pancreas is removed and the healthy pancreas is placed in the abdomen. The transplanted pancreas helps to regulate blood sugar levels and produce important hormones and enzymes.

The transplantation of a pancreas is a complex and delicate procedure, and it is important to understand the risks and benefits of the procedure. People who undergo pancreas transplantation must take medications for the rest of their lives to help prevent organ rejection.

Organ Rejection
Organ rejection occurs when the body’s immune system recognizes the transplanted organ as foreign and attacks it. To reduce the risk of organ rejection, people who undergo pancreas transplantation must take immunosuppressant medications to suppress the immune system and prevent it from attacking the new organ. People must take these medications for the rest of their lives to help ensure the success of the transplant.