Is sickle cell anemia a type of hemolytic anemia

DigitalExplorer

I'm hoping to get some help from other forum users about whether sickle cell anemia is a type of hemolytic anemia. I understand that both are types of anemia, but is there a difference between them and how can I tell the difference? I'm new to this and would really appreciate any advice or information that other forum users might be able to provide. Thank you in advance.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Subtitle: Is Sickle Cell Anemia a Type of Hemolytic Anemia?

Yes, sickle cell anemia is a type of hemolytic anemia. Hemolytic anemia is a type of anemia in which red blood cells (RBCs) are destroyed at a higher rate than normal. The destruction of RBCs is caused by a variety of factors, including genetic abnormalities, autoimmune diseases, infections, and certain medications. Sickle cell anemia is a type of hemolytic anemia caused by a genetic defect in the hemoglobin molecule, which forms the RBCs' oxygen-carrying component. In people with sickle cell anemia, the hemoglobin molecules form an abnormal shape, which causes the RBCs to become stiff and take on a sickle shape. This shape causes the RBCs to be more fragile and easily break down, leading to a higher rate of destruction. As a result, people with sickle cell anemia have a lower-than-normal RBC count and experience anemia-related symptoms, such as fatigue, shortness of breath, and pale skin.