Is Sherlock Holmes LGBTQ

measqu

I'm a big fan of Sherlock Holmes and I'm wondering if anyone knows if he is LGBTQ? I've done some research but haven't been able to find anything definitive. I'm hoping someone on this forum might have more information or insight on this topic.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Sherlock Holmes is one of the most beloved and iconic characters in literature. Over the years, many readers have wondered whether or not Sherlock Holmes is part of the LGBTQ community. While the answer to this question is not definitively known, there are some clues that suggest he might be.

The Canon

When looking for clues as to whether or not Sherlock Holmes is part of the LGBTQ community, it is important to look at the original canon. In the stories, Holmes is portrayed as asexual, which means he has no interest in sexual relationships. This could suggest that he is not part of the LGBTQ community, but it is also possible that he is asexual and part of the LGBTQ community.

The Adaptations

The character of Sherlock Holmes has been adapted for movies, television, and other media for over a century. While the original canon offers some clues as to whether or not Sherlock Holmes is part of the LGBTQ community, the adaptations can also provide insight. For example, in some adaptations, Holmes is depicted as having a relationship with Irene Adler, which could suggest that he is bisexual.

The Fan Theory

One of the most popular fan theories regarding Sherlock Holmes is that he is gay. This theory is based on the fact that Holmes is often portrayed as having a close relationship with his best friend, Dr. Watson, and that he does not appear to be interested in romantic relationships with women. While this is not definitive proof that Sherlock Holmes is part of the LGBTQ community, it is an interesting fan theory.

Conclusion

Ultimately, it is impossible to definitively answer the question of whether or not Sherlock Holmes is part of the LGBTQ community. However, looking at the original canon, the adaptations, and the fan theories can provide some insight into the character and whether or not he might be part of the LGBTQ community.