Is runny nose a symptom of cold or flu

DigitalExplorer

I'm hoping someone can help me out—I'm trying to figure out if a runny nose is a symptom of a cold or flu. I've been feeling a bit under the weather lately and my nose has been running. Is this a sign of a cold or the flu? I'm not sure what to do and would appreciate any advice from other forum users.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Runny Nose: A Symptom of Cold or Flu?

Runny nose is a common symptom of both colds and flu. It is usually caused by the body's immune system reacting to a virus, such as the rhinovirus that causes the common cold. Runny nose is usually accompanied by other symptoms, such as sneezing, coughing, and nasal congestion.

Rhinovirus is a type of virus that causes the common cold. It is highly contagious and can be spread through contact with an infected person or through contact with a contaminated surface.

When a person has a cold, their body produces extra mucus in an effort to flush out the virus. This extra mucus can cause a runny nose. The mucus can also be clear, whitish, or yellowish in color.

The flu, or influenza, is a much more serious virus than the common cold. It is also more contagious and can cause more serious complications, such as pneumonia and bronchitis. Runny nose is a common symptom of the flu, along with other symptoms, such as fever, chills, body aches, and fatigue. The mucus associated with the flu is usually thicker and darker in color than the mucus associated with the common cold.

It is important to note that not all runny noses are caused by a virus. Allergies, sinus infections, and environmental irritants, such as smoke, can also cause a runny nose. If your runny nose is accompanied by other symptoms, it is best to see a doctor for a proper diagnosis.