Is MCV increased in hemolytic anemia

DreamWeaver

I'm new to hematology and I'm trying to understand the concept of MCV in hemolytic anemia. Can anyone help me out by explaining what MCV is and whether it's increased in hemolytic anemia? Is there a link between the two, and if so, what is it? Any information or resources that could help me understand this better would be much appreciated.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Hemolytic anemia is a type of anemia caused by the destruction of red blood cells, resulting in reduced levels of red blood cells and hemoglobin. This can be caused by a variety of conditions, including autoimmune diseases, infections, and inherited disorders. One of the most common tests used to diagnose hemolytic anemia is the measurement of the mean corpuscular volume, or MCV.

What is MCV?

MCV is a measure of the average size of red blood cells (RBCs). It is calculated by dividing the total volume of RBCs in a given volume of blood by the total number of RBCs. A normal MCV value is usually between 80 and 100 femtoliters (fl).

Does MCV Increase in Hemolytic Anemia?

Generally, the MCV value is increased in hemolytic anemia due to the presence of larger-than-normal RBCs. This is because the body is attempting to compensate for the destruction of red blood cells by producing larger cells. However, this is not always the case, as some forms of hemolytic anemia may have a normal or even decreased MCV.