Is MCH normal in hemolytic anemia

IdeaGenius

I'm new to this forum and I was hoping to get some help with a question I have about hemolytic anemia. Is MCH normally elevated in hemolytic anemia? I've done some research and I'm not sure what to make of it.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Hemolytic anemia is a type of anemia that occurs when red blood cells (RBCs) are destroyed faster than the body can replace them. The average lifespan of a red blood cell is normally about 120 days but in hemolytic anemia, the cells are destroyed in a much shorter period of time.

MCH in Hemolytic Anemia

MCH stands for mean corpuscular hemoglobin and is a measure of the average amount of hemoglobin in a red blood cell. In hemolytic anemia, the MCH may be decreased due to the destruction of the red blood cells. Therefore, it is not considered to be normal in hemolytic anemia.

Treatment of Hemolytic Anemia

The treatment of hemolytic anemia depends on the underlying cause. In some cases, medications may be prescribed to help reduce the destruction of red blood cells. In other cases, a blood transfusion may be necessary to replace the lost red blood cells. In some cases, a bone marrow transplant may be necessary to replace the damaged bone marrow.