Is jaw cyst dangerous

CuriousCat

"Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and was hoping to get some help with a question I have. Is a jaw cyst dangerous? I'm concerned because I recently found out I had one but I'm not sure how serious it is. Can anyone offer me some insight on this? I'd really appreciate it.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Jaw cysts are not usually considered dangerous, but they can cause discomfort and pain. In rare cases, they can cause complications and lead to further medical problems.

What is a Jaw Cyst?

A jaw cyst is a bony growth that develops in the jawbone and can range in size from a few millimeters to several centimeters. They are usually filled with fluid or semi-solid material. Jaw cysts are most commonly found in the lower jaw, although they can occur in the upper jaw as well.

What Causes Jaw Cysts?

Jaw cysts are usually caused by a condition known as odontogenic keratocyst, which is a type of benign tumor. Other causes can include trauma to the jaw, poor dental hygiene, genetics, or infection.

Are Jaw Cysts Dangerous?

Most jaw cysts are not dangerous and can be treated with medication or surgery. However, if left untreated, they can become bigger and cause more serious problems. In rare cases, jaw cysts can become cancerous. If a jaw cyst is suspected to be cancerous, it should be evaluated and treated by a doctor.