Is it a cold sinus or allergy

DreamWeaver

I'm not sure what's causing my sinus issues and I'm hoping to get some help from the forum. I've been having a lot of sinus pressure, congestion, and sneezing for the past few days and I'm wondering if it's a cold, sinus infection, or an allergy. I've been taking an over-the-counter decongestant and I've been using a neti pot, but neither seem to be helping.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Subtitle: Cold Sinus vs Allergy

Are you feeling congested, have a runny nose, and sneezing? It could be a cold sinus or an allergy. It’s important to know the difference between the two so that you can properly treat your symptoms.

The main difference between a cold sinus and allergy is that a cold sinus is caused by a virus while allergies are caused by irritants.

Virus: A virus is a microscopic organism that can cause infectious diseases. Cold sinuses are caused by viruses such as rhinovirus, adenovirus, or coronavirus.

Irritants: Irritants are substances that cause an inflammatory reaction in the body. Allergies are caused by irritants such as pollen, dust mites, animal dander, or mold.

When it comes to symptoms, cold sinuses and allergies can have similar symptoms, such as a runny or stuffy nose, sneezing, and congestion. However, there are some differences in the symptoms. Cold sinuses can also cause a sore throat, fever, and body aches, while allergies usually don’t.

Treatment for cold sinuses and allergies are also different. For cold sinuses, you can take over-the-counter medications such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen to help reduce fever and body aches. Cold sinuses can also be treated with decongestants and nasal sprays.

Allergies can be treated with over-the-counter antihistamines, nasal sprays, and decongestants. Allergy shots or immunotherapy can also be used to decrease the body’s sensitivity to allergens.

It’s important to see a doctor if your symptoms are severe or if they don’t improve after a few days. Your doctor can determine if you have a cold sinus or an allergy and provide the appropriate treatment.