Is IMHA and AIHA the same

strawberry

"Hello everyone,

I'm new here and I have a question that I'm hoping someone can help me with. Is IMHA and AIHA the same? I'm trying to understand the differences between the two and any information would be greatly appreciated.

I'm especially curious to know if one is more serious than the other, and if there are any different treatments available for each.

Any insights or experiences you can share would be really helpful.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
IMHA and AIHA are not the same. IMHA stands for Immune-Mediated Hemolytic Anemia, while AIHA stands for Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia. Both are autoimmune conditions in which the immune system mistakenly attacks and destroys red blood cells.

Symptoms of IMHA and AIHA

The symptoms of both IMHA and AIHA are similar and can include pale gums, lethargy, loss of appetite, jaundice, and dark urine. Other symptoms can include rapid breathing, abnormal heart rate, and fever.

Diagnosis of IMHA and AIHA

The diagnosis of both IMHA and AIHA can be made through a physical exam, blood tests, and urinalysis. In some cases, a bone marrow biopsy may be performed to confirm the diagnosis.

Treatment of IMHA and AIHA

The treatment for both IMHA and AIHA typically involves medications such as corticosteroids, immunosuppressants, and/or blood transfusions. In some cases, surgery may be necessary to remove the spleen. The prognosis for both conditions is usually good with early and appropriate treatment.