Is high AST levels harmless

measqu

I'm really worried about my AST levels. I recently had a blood test and my results showed that my AST levels are significantly higher than they should be. I'm trying to research what this could mean and if it's anything to be concerned about, but I'm feeling overwhelmed. Does anyone have any experience with high AST levels and if they are harmless? Can anyone provide any advice? I'd really appreciate any help. Thank you.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Subtitle: What is AST?

AST, also known as aspartate aminotransferase, is an enzyme produced mainly in the liver. It is released into the bloodstream when the liver is damaged or inflamed. AST levels can be used to help diagnose liver diseases, such as hepatitis and cirrhosis.

Subtitle: What are normal AST levels?

Normal AST levels vary depending on the laboratory, but typically range from 15 to 40 units per liter (U/L). If your AST levels are higher than normal, it could be a sign of liver damage or inflammation.

Subtitle: Are high AST levels harmless?

High AST levels can be harmless if they are caused by strenuous exercise or alcohol consumption. However, if the levels are high for no apparent reason, it could be an indication of liver damage or inflammation. It's important to talk to your doctor if you have high AST levels, as they can help to determine the cause and recommend treatment.