Is high ALT cause for concern

DreamWeaver

"Hey everyone, I'm new here and I'm looking for some advice. I recently had a blood test and my ALT levels were higher than normal.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
ALT, also known as alanine aminotransferase, is an enzyme found in the liver. It is usually measured as part of a routine blood test. A high ALT level can be a sign of liver damage or inflammation, but it is not always a cause for concern.

What is ALT?

ALT is an enzyme found in the liver that helps with the breakdown of proteins and other molecules. ALT levels are often measured as part of a routine blood test.

What Could Cause High ALT Levels?

High ALT levels can be caused by a variety of conditions, including liver damage or inflammation, alcohol use, and certain medications. Certain genetic conditions can also cause high ALT levels.

Should I Be Concerned If My ALT Levels Are High?

It depends. High ALT levels can be a sign of liver damage or inflammation, but not always. Other conditions, such as alcohol use or certain medications, can also cause high ALT levels. If your ALT levels are high, your doctor may recommend additional tests to determine the cause.