Is HbA1c low with hemolytic anemia

strawberry

I'm really hoping someone can help me out with this. I'm currently trying to understand if a low HbA1c level is a symptom of hemolytic anemia. From my research, I'm seeing some conflicting opinions, so I'm looking for some more guidance. Can anyone tell me if a low HbA1c level is a reliable indicator of hemolytic anemia? Has anyone had experience with this situation before? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
HbA1c Low With Hemolytic Anemia

HbA1c, also known as glycated hemoglobin, is a form of hemoglobin that is bound to glucose and is used to measure average blood sugar levels over a period of two to three months. Hemolytic anemia is a type of anemia, or low red blood cell count, caused by the destruction of red blood cells.

HbA1c levels can be affected by a variety of factors, including diet, exercise, and medications. In individuals with hemolytic anemia, the destruction of red blood cells can lead to lower HbA1c levels. This can make it difficult to accurately measure the average blood sugar levels over time.

In addition, the destruction of red blood cells can lead to a decrease in the number of red blood cells in the bloodstream. This could lead to a lower hemoglobin level, which is a key factor in the measurement of HbA1c levels. Therefore, individuals with hemolytic anemia may have lower HbA1c levels than those without anemia.

It is important to note that individuals with hemolytic anemia should not be treated with any medications or supplements that could affect their HbA1c levels. Additionally, they should be monitored closely by their healthcare provider in order to ensure that their HbA1c levels remain within a healthy range.